The froth of the high yield market and the volume of leveraged recaps by equity sponsors have been widely reported. Many in our industry have opined that the high level of deal flow is hiding the problems of troubled companies as they are able to ink deals for new financing at better pricing or on covenant-lite terms that rival what we saw before the credit market contraction of 2008. We are used to seeing reports like Debtwire’s calculation that $26 billion in new issue bonds were marketed in the month of October alone. We restructuring practitioners bemoan that these deals are shifting the debt “maturity wall” out even further to 2013 or beyond.
So, it was interesting to note yesterday’s report that Burlington Coat Factory’s $1.5 billion refinancing/dividend recap was pulled after investors pushed back on pricing offered based upon the ratings assigned to the deal (read the Bloomberg article). One deal certainly does not make a trend and maybe the market simply wants to see how retailers perform this Christmas season. In any case, we should bookmark this one and see where things go from here.
Your thoughts?
Popular Posts
-
I’ve heard consistently good things about Nick Green’s novels, – 'The Storm Bottle' by Nick Green and I know him to be a witty blogg...
-
Starting on Monday, we're holding a book festival round at yours... Well, if you want to, that is. You don't have to ...
-
A tunky pig? As a child, I often heard the expression, ‘ fat as a tunky pig. ’ My aunt’s over-fed dog, for instance, was often...
-
Well, I failed. It's 7-30pm on Friday night, and I know now that I'm not going to have Sterkarm 3 with my agent by tomorrow, ...
-
Canterbury Cathedral's Green Man I was going to write this week about how busy I was last week with various business trips - b...
-
Manic Monday is a weekly meme hosted by Turn The Page where we get to decide who the next Indie/Self-Published author featured will be. So ...
-
BBPT is a monthly meme hosted by Turn The Page where we rehash all our favorites from the month... books, blogs, and all things bookish! Bo...
-
Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush offered three suggestions for the turnaround of the U.S. during the opening session of the TMA Annual Conve...
-
When Nolan Ryan and his ownership group paid $593 million for the Texas Rangers in a bankruptcy court auction in August, it's hard to im...
-
The second night of the TMA Distressed Investing Conference featured another highly successful networking event, allowing attendees to conti...